Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Week 15

So this past week was Shogatsu, which basically means new years.  The only thing is that in Japan, it doesn't last for a day or 2.  It lasts for 4!!  It's huge.  Way bigger then Christmas.  We actually had 8 dinner appointments in the past 5 days.  And I definitely tried all the traditional Japanese Shogatsu foods.  None of which I can remember the names, or what they were.  There are some that I'm glad that I don't remember what they were because it's very unappetizing to know what you're eating.  But it was much fun.  The members here in 多摩 (Tama) are all terrific.  Really reminds me of Hawkesbury except that Tama has like 90 people. 
 
So here's a little bit of what one of my days looks like. Wake up between 6 and 630.  Eat breakfast, shower.  Then start studying.  Gospel study for 1 hour.  Then companionship study for 1 hour.  then language study for 1 hour.  then lunch (my companion usually makes it and I get to spend a little bit more time studying.  Then we're out of the apartment by 12 (mission rules) and then we go streeting for a bit.  Streeting is just stopping and talking to people on the streets.  I've been ignored or 'kekkoed' so many times I stopped keeping track.  Then we do some housing which is knocking doors, but we don't really do too much knocking because they all have 'kekko boxes' which you ring and it's got a speaker and a mic and sometimes a camera so like only 1/50 will someone even come to the door.  Oh and by the way this is all in Japanese.  And then sometimes we go kubari, which is handing out chirashis (advertising cards) for our 英会話 (eikaiwa--> English class).  It's a good thing I'm pretty optimistic because Japanese missionaries face a LOT of rejection.  Then English class on Wednesdays, pdays on Tuesdays, church on Sundays are the only other set things.  We also have district meetings once a week.  Then whenever we have time and our investigators have time, we teach lessons.  So that's what missionary work here is like.
 
It's hard to believe that I've been in Japan almost 1 month already.  Transfer calls are next Friday and myself and my companion are both hoping that we stay.  He's been here 4 transfers though and me only 1.  But wow how time really flies.  It's insane.  At the end of the day, at the end of the week, I think 'Wow.  Didn't I just get here?'  It's 2011 now.  I return in 2012.  Hows that for perspective?  So I'm grateful to all of you for all the support that you've given me in getting here and your continued support while I'm here because sometimes it's really hard.  Especially not knowing Japanese ;)  Do I speak it?  Goodness no, thank the president my trainer does.  Maybe I'll catch on soon.  So I bid you all  さよなら (sayonara) until next week.  皆さん愛しています。(minna san, ai shite imasu)
 
Elder Keith
キ-ス 長老

No comments:

Post a Comment