Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Week 14

Minna-san Konnichiwa and Meri Kurisumasu
I guess I should apologize for missing Christmas.  Last week we had a party for all the missionaries in our mission, at the mission home, on our Pday.  It was much fun.
So, you all are probably pretty curious to hear about Japan.   I will start with some stuff that's taking some time getting used to:
-On my bike, my brakes are switched, the left hand is the back brake, the right the front.  I've only almost gone over my handlebars once ;P
-The cars drive on the wrong side of the road and the steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car.
-The people talk really fast and speak a language similar to Japanese (just kidding they speak Japanese but upon coming here, I discovered that I didn't)
-Instead of regular doorbells they have  "kekko boxes", where you can talk to the person without them coming to the door.  I have been turned away many times by this.
-A lot of the food is really good!
-Some of the food, (like nato ---> fermented soy beans) is probably the worst thing on the entire planet!!
-I do not sleep on a bed, I sleep on 3 inch thick futons and surprisingly I have not slept-walked at all since being here.
-I take my shoes off in a place called the genkan before entering anyone's house.  
-Everything is in yen not dollars.  1 yen is approximately 1 cent.
There's a lot I wanted to say, but I forgot my journal from which I get all my stories for the week.  I will have to share stories next week.  If there's anything you want to know about Japan or anything, then you can email me, or write me and I will include my response in this weekly blog.  That being said, if there is anyone who I emailed while I was in the MTC who is not a member of my immediate family, I'm not going to be able to do that, because it says so in the white handbook.  If I want the blessings, especially help with learning Japanese, then I need to be exactly obedient.  I can still write letters, it's just the emails that must stop.  I miss you all and love to hear from you. Just to say too, it takes around 12-14 days for mail to arrive here.  Thank you to everyone for your support.  It really means a lot to me here.  I hope you all are well.  I hope you had a Merry Christmas and will have a great, terrific and Happy New Year.  ありがとございます.
Elder Keith
キース長老

No comments:

Post a Comment